In the midst of home renovations, sometimes it can be difficult to remember what the original design of your home looked like. Luckily, there are tons of simple and effective DIY home decor tips that you can use to give your space new life and style without busting your wallet or sacrificing quality craftsmanship.
Whether you’re looking to spruce up an entire room or just give one element of your space a face-lift, these tips will help you create the look you want without any hassle or cost!
They won’t just save you money on your projects, they’ll improve the appearance of your home and make it an even more enjoyable place to live in. You don’t need any previous experience or training to follow the tips below, so get ready to get your hands dirty (or at least your fingernails) and start making beautiful changes to your living space!
Home decor tips 2022
It’s officially the start of a new year, which means it’s time to start thinking about your home decor goals for 2022. If you’re like most people, you probably want to find ways to make your home more stylish, cozy, and inviting. Luckily, there are plenty of easy and affordable ways to do just that.
Here are 10 incredible DIY home decorating tips you need to try
1. Painted furniture
Give your old furniture a new lease on life with a fresh coat of paint! You can either go for a bold, bright look or a more subdued palette. Either way, painting furniture is an easy and budget-friendly way to add personality to your home.
We recommend using a glossy finish for pieces that are going to be used regularly (e.g., dining room table) and a matte finish for pieces that will only be used occasionally (e.g., coffee table).
2. Repurposed furniture
A great way to add your own personal touch to your home is by repurposing furniture. You can take an old dresser and turn it into a beautiful buffet for your dining room.
Or you can take an old bookshelf and turn it into a chic nightstand. The possibilities are endless! Plus, repurposing furniture is a great way to save money.
3. Scratch Wallpaper
Give your walls some personality by covering them with scratch wallpaper. All you need is some contact paper and a sharp object to get started.
Simply cover the contact paper on the wall and start scratching away! You can make any design you want, and it’s a great way to add some pizzazz to your home. It’s not for everyone though so proceed with caution.
If you have little ones or pets then this may not be for you because the pieces of contact paper could become a choking hazard or they could tear off easily while someone tries to remove them from the wall.
4. Chalk Paint
Updating your furniture is a great way to give your home a fresh look, and chalk paint is a perfect way to do it! Chalk paint is easy to use and can be applied to any type of furniture, from dressers and nightstands to coffee tables and end tables. Plus, it comes in a variety of colors, so you can find the perfect shade for your home.
Here are some tips for using chalk paint
- Allow each coat of paint to dry before applying another one. Depending on the color and thickness, the drying time could range from 12 hours to 3 days.
- Apply a layer of wax after painting with chalk paint for extra protection against stains or wear and tear.
- When applying the first coat, make sure that all surfaces are thoroughly sanded before applying the first coat.
- When painting over an existing finish (i.e., if you want to change the color), apply a layer of primer first before applying multiple coats of chalk paint.
5. Chalk Board Wallpaper
I’m in love with this idea! I never would have thought of using chalkboard wallpaper as an accent wall, but it looks amazing.
This is such a great way to add a unique touch to your home. Plus, it’s a great way to get your kids involved in decorating. They can help you design the perfect chalkboard wall for your home.
6. Tissue Paper Pom Poms
Making your own tissue paper pom poms is easy, inexpensive, and fun! Plus, they add a touch of whimsy and color to any room.
Here’s how you can make your own
- Find the colored tissue paper sheets you want to use. It should be around 8×11.
- Cut the sheet in half widthwise so that you have two long strips.
- Tear off one strip lengthwise so that it becomes a square piece of fabric about 4×4. Put this aside for later use.
- Fold one strip widthwise so that it becomes 2 squares, with each square being about 2×2.
Make sure the seams are facing inward so that there are no gaps between them when folded together later on. Repeat this step with the other strip until both have 4 squares total. These will form the petals for your flower when assembled later on.
7. Foam Shadow Boxes
These Foam Shadow Boxes from A Beautiful Mess are the perfect way to add a personal touch to your home. They’re easy to make and can be customized to fit any space. Plus, they’re a great way to display photos, mementos, and other keepsakes.
Here’s what you’ll need foam board, liquid glue, scissors, colored cardstock paper, paint or markers (optional), a ruler (optional), acrylic paints or spray paint (optional).
Cut out four squares of foam board that measure 10×10 inches each. Then cut two rectangles measuring 5×5 inches each. Paint one side of one of the smaller rectangles with glue and place it in the center of one of the larger squares so that it overlaps by about an inch on all sides.
Repeat this process for the second rectangle on another square so that both rectangles will eventually form an L shape when put together later on. Make sure that there is enough overlap in between them so that they will stay together without falling apart later on!
8. Wood Veneer Tape
1. Use it as trim on mirrors, picture frames, or even windows.
2. Create a unique headboard by attaching wood veneer tape to a piece of plywood or cardboard.
3. Give plain throw pillows a makeover by wrapping them in wood veneer tape.
4. Makeover an old lampshade by covering it in wood veneer tape.
5. Create wall art by attaching wood veneer tape to canvas or paper.
9. Rope Wall Hangings
These rope wall hangings are the perfect way to add a touch of bohemian flair to your home. Plus, they’re incredibly easy to make! All you need is some rope, a few nails, and some patience. Here’s how to do it take about two feet of rope and tie one end around a nail on the wall.
Then, loop the other end around another nail on the wall. Keep repeating this process until you’ve reached your desired length for the hanging (around six feet). The ends can be untied or tucked into knots to keep them in place.
10. Stenciled floors
A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for your floors, but if you really want to make a statement, try stenciling them! It’s a bit of a project, but the results are definitely worth it.
Here’s how to do it:
- Start by cleaning your floors and making sure they’re free of any dirt or debris.
- Next, decide on the design you want to use for your stencil. There are tons of great options out there, so take your time and find one that you love.
- Once you have your stencil, tape it down to the floor and begin painting. Be sure to use a paint that is designed for floors so that it will withstand foot traffic.